WHAT IS A RESUME???
A résumé is a document used and created by a person to present their background, skills, and accomplishments. Résumés can be used for a variety of reasons, but most often they are used to secure new employment.
A typical résumé contains a "summary" of relevant job experience and education. The résumé is usually one of the first items, along with a cover letter and sometimes an application for employment, which a potential employer sees regarding the job seeker and is typically used to screen applicants, often followed by an interview.
Your Resume is Your Calling Card! A Display of Your Skills and Experience!
Resume Action Words
More Resume Actions Words
Sample High School Resume
How to Market Your Resume Experience
SAMPLE WORK EXPERIENCE
Below are examples of common jobs students might have while in school, along with examples of strong bullet point descriptions. Remember to tailor your resume and highlight transferable skills relevant to the job you are applying to.
- Ensured the safety, health, and welfare of #__ children ages #__ to #__.
- Organized safe, fun, and educational activities such as __ and __.
- Provided daily transportation to and from school and activities.
- Assisted children with homework and school-related projects.
- Completed administrative tasks such as product inventory and answering phones in a fast-paced environment.
- Handled a daily revenue average of $ __.
- Communicated extensively with customers.
- Effectively utilized company-specific point-of-sale system.
- Processed returns and purchases of $2,000+ with cash, credit cards, and gift cards.
- Reconciled cash drawer at the end of each shift.
- Enhanced ability to multitask by working in a fast-paced environment.
- Managed guest relation issues such as complaints, recommendations, and accommodation requests.
- Handled a daily revenue averaging $__.
- Recommended nightly specials to customers and enhanced sales by 10%.
- Maintained approximately #__ hours per week while enrolled as a full-time student.
Retail Sales Associate
- Trained 10 new employees on procedures and store policies.
- Exhibited excellent attention to detail by accurately completing weekly inventory and submitting product orders.
- Ensured floor displays were properly assembled according to organization charts.
- Increased product knowledge and sales experience by working in different areas of the store.
- Engaged customers with friendly service and helpful attitude when providing product recommendations.
- Provided 15 hours of service per semester to elderly residents through the Meals on Wheels program. • Designed and distributed program brochures to 100+ residents in the community.
- Trained 15 new volunteers in the proper care of animals, including grooming and exercising techniques.
- Tutored 10 undergraduate students in __, __, __, and __.
- Monitored student progress and provided candid feedback.
- Developed detailed examples and tutorial exercises to increase student understanding and retention of material.
Lawn Care Service Provider
- Maintained lawns for 12 clients per week.
- Manicured customers’ lawns and tailored services to please individual customer expectations.
- Promoted additional lawn care services through flyers, emails, and phone calls to obtain new customers.
- Managed weekly schedules for up to 4 people
- Collaborated with 3 peers to develop a marketing campaign for a hypothetical company.
- Contributed to the research and writing of a 15-page paper to accompany the pitch.
- Presented the finished project to a class of 25+, including 3 teachers from the Marketing Department.
- Successfully completed the project and earned the top level of “A.”
Intern for a Day
- Selected to shadow an insurance services professional for 2 days.
- Conducted 4 informational interviews with various staff members to gain valuable insight into the insurance industry. • Accompanied a broker on a site visit and observed daily protocol and professional etiquette
- Attended a weekly staff meeting to learn about current projects involving the expansion of the division.
- Effectively performed multiple tasks such as ___, ___, and ___ within a fast-paced environment.
- Quickly served meals for up to 300 customers each night.
- Supervised 3 student workers and provided constructive feedback when necessary.
- Focused on proper safety procedures for preparation and storage of food.
- Accurately entered patient information by utilizing Excel spreadsheets.
- Exhibited excellent communication skills by managing multiple phone lines and promptly greeting customers in a cheerful manner.
- Maintained an organized office by quickly filing and sorting documents.
- Scheduled individual appointments with office personnel.
- Collaborated with a team of 7 to ensure shelves were fully stocked at all times in order to maintain the professional appearance of the store.
- Demonstrated a wide range of product knowledge by assisting customers in merchandise selection.
- Operated a fork-lift to transport goods.
- Reconciled delivery invoices with products received.
- Assisted in recruitment of all members for the TIGERSAWARE Club
- Planned and facilitated weekly meetings of 45 student members.
- Co-managed a $2,000 yearly budget and appropriately allocated funds for philanthropic engagements, social events, and professional development.
- Upheld all members to GCHS academic standards and honor code requirements.
- Your references should be listed on a separate sheet of paper.
- Try to avoid using “References Upon Request“ on your resume.
- DO NOT list references on your resume. References are a separate document.
- List 3-5 professional or academic references.
- Use the same heading as your resume on your reference sheet so that your materials look like a well put together a packet.
- Include full name, job title, company, mailing address, phone number, and if possible, email address.
- DO NOT use family, friends, church members/religious advisors, or personal references.
- It is recommended that you list in order of who will give you the best reference.
- Ask your references for their permission before listing them
SAMPLE REFERENCE LIST FOR RESUME
234 Maple Drive
Greensboro, GA 30642
706-453-6589 l firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Richard Thompson
Greene County High School
Dr. Samuel Lowes
Math Teacher and Yearbook Advisor
Greene County High School
Ms. Lori Johnson
Journalism Teacher and Newspaper Advisor
Greene County High School
Mr. David Gresham
Union Point, GA 30867